NH Business Resource Center
YouTube    Facebook    Twitter    LinkedIn    RSS
Business ServicesExpand to NHSell to the GovernmentManufacturing in NHFinance InformationBusiness ContinuityInternational TradeContact Us


To sell to the government, you'll need to register with a variety of databases.

Employer Identification Number (EIN): EIN, also referred to as Federal Tax Identification Numbers (TIN), is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS that is used to identify a business entity. If you have questions relating to EIN, including whether you should apply for a number or not, visit the EIN section on the IRS website. You may apply for an EIN in various ways, and now you may apply online.

Dun & Bradstreet (D&B): D&B is a business specializing in providing credit and financial reports on registered companies for a fee. The identifier for registered companies is referred to as a DUNS number. In order to do business with the federal government you must obtain a DUNS. DUNS number assignment is FREE for all businesses required to register with the US Federal government for contracts or grants.

Please note that 1 in 2 companies requesting a DUNS number already has one. Run a DUNS check online to see if your company already has a DUNS.  If you are not listed, you can apply for a DUNS.  To update your Dun & Bradstreet information you can visit their website.

System for Award Management (SAM): In order to do business with any department of the Federal government, you must first register in SAM. SAM is the successor database to Central Contractor Registration (CCR) and Online Representations and Certifications (ORCA), which were both replaced by SAM in July, 2012.

If you had an active, unexpired registration in CCR, your company information should have migrated automatically to SAM. You will need to establish a personal SAM account, and link your business to your account. You may have to re-enter all of the representations and certification that were formerly contained in ORCA, or this data may migrate automatically.

If you were not registered in CCR, you will need to create new personal and company registrations in SAM.  You can obtain information about SAM at www.sam.gov; NH-PTAP staff are available to provide assistance with SAM issues.

SAM registrations must be renewed annually.  This registration provides government contractors with a profile of your company and required banking information so that you can be paid electronically. It also includes a mandatory compilation of standard contract certifications and terms & conditions that are required in almost all Federal contracts. Upon completion of this registration, small businesses are also provided a link to register on Dynamic Small Business Search, see below.

Dynamic Small Business Search: This SBA-operated, self-certifying database is used by contracting officers and others to find information on small businesses.

North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS Codes) are numerical codes designed by the U.S. Government in order to create uniform descriptions of small business types. Size standards, for determination of whether or not a business is small, are keyed to NAICS codes. You can look up NAICS Codes online. You can download Small Business Size Standards that are matched to the NAICS Codes.

Product Service Codes (PSC) and Federal Supply Codes (FSC)
are alpha-numerical codes designed by the government to create descriptions for products and services. They are not specific to small businesses and do not describe business size. A-Z are for services and 10-99 are for products. You can look up PSC and FSC Codes online.



NH-PTAP, which serves as a Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC), is funded in part through a cooperative agreement from the Department of Defense (DOD) through a program that is administered by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). The content of any written materials or verbal communications of the PTAC does not necessarily reflect the official views of or imply endorsement by DOD or DLA. NH-PTAP is also funded by the NH Department of Resources and Economic Development (DRED), and operates as a program of the Business Resource Center within the Division of Economic Development (DED).

The 'No Bull' Business Blog
July 31, 2015
Five Questions with Liz Gray, Live Free and Start

The entrepreneurial ecosystem for New Hampshire’s high-tech businesses is thriving. Much of it has to do with the ingenuity and selflessness of professionals throughout the state,... continue reading

Powered by SilverTech